Here at Physicians Premiere Weight & Wellness Center, we treat excess weight and obesity as a chronic disease. For most individuals, it goes beyond just diet and exercising. Weight loss medications are often needed to treat the internal disease process. Incorporating weight loss medications is not a sign of weakness or lack of will-power. Rather, they play an important role in a comprehensive weight loss program. We have several FDA-approved weight loss medications that you can choose from.
- Phentermine, Lomaira, Diethylproprion, Qsymia (phentermine/topirimate) – These are a group of oral medications that are very effective for hunger and cravings control. They are also a good option for someone who is a “slow burner” metabolically.
- Contrave (buproprion/naltrexone): This in another oral medication that is very effective for hunger and especially cravings control. It is also a good option for those who struggle emotional and stress eating.
- Ozempic (semaglutide), Trulicity (dulaglutide), Wegovy (semaglutide), Saxenda (liraglutide), Mounjaro (tirzepetide):
- These are all weekly injectible medications (except Saxenda which is a daily injectable).
- Ozempic and Trulicity are indicated for treatment for Diabetes Type II, Prediabetes, Insulin Resistance, and PCOS. When prescribed in this setting, it also aids in weight loss.
- Wegovy and Saxenda are indicated only for weight loss.
- Mounjaro, which is the newest injectible on the market, is currently indicated for Type II Diabetes. However, it is currently undergoing FDA approval for weight loss and should soon be available for this indication. But, at this time, in the setting of Type II Diabetes, it is an excellent option for weight loss.
- We also have several off-label medication options for weight loss including metformin and topamax (topirimate).
Weight loss medications are often covered by insurance. For better efficiency, we recommend that you check with your insurance carrier regarding your coverage for these medication prior to your appointment time.
We will complete any prior authorizations forms needed to facilitate coverage of these medications.
- We do not require you to take weight loss medication. A solid dietary plan is the foundation for weight loss.
- If you choose to incorporate weight loss medication, remember that it must be used in conjunction with a specific dietary plan (Rapid, Moderate, Gradual, or Standard plans). Medication is a tool that complements a good eating plan. Medication alone is not the answer as we cannot out-medicate a poor diet.