When you are trying to lose weight, a measure of success is seeing the number on the scale change. After all, that is a great source of motivation. But, as we see every day here at Physicians Premiere Weight & Wellness Center, weight loss success goes well beyond the number on the scale.
The measurements beyond the scale are what we call non-scale victories, and they can also be a great source of motivation.
What exactly are non-scale victories?
- First, it’s the way your clothes fit. How nice is it to get into a pair of jeans easier or to be able to move around more comfortably in your shirt? Fitting into your clothing better can be a great boost for your self-esteem and confidence.
- Second, another strong non-scale victory is the shrinking of your waistline. Measure your waist at baseline and then again, every 4 weeks during your weight loss program. A decreasing waistline also means decreased risks of diabetes and heart disease.
- Third, stamina and endurance are yet other benefits of weight loss. How nice is it to be able to go up and down the stairs without getting so winded? How nice is it to be able to take a long walk without feeling physically fatigued?
- Fourth, improvement of fatigue and decreased aches and pains are also very important non-scale victories often seen by Dr. Trupti Patel and her team. How nice is it to wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and energetic? Many get so used to feeling tired and achy day in and day out that it becomes their new normal. But when these symptoms go away with weight loss, you realize how priceless it is to be pain free.
- Finally, another very important non-scale victory is improvement of sleep. Sleep is extremely important for good physical and mental health. With weight loss, snoring and sleep apnea improve, leading to better quality sleep.
So, remember, your weight loss journey is more than chasing the number on the scale. The physical and mental health benefits are at least as important. These changes are what drive your motivation and increase your chances of success.
If you are ready for weight loss success, my team and I at Physicians Premiere Weight & Wellness Center would love to help. Please reach out to us at https://healthymeweightloss.com/contact-us/